Classic Chicken Gumbo
2 tb Vegetable shortening
2 tb Flour, all-purpose
2 Onions,f inely chopped
1 Green bell pepper, fine chop
5 cups Warm chicken broth
8 Tomatoes, peeled/chopped
1/2 lb Okra, cut into 1/4″ pieces
1/2 cup Uncooked rice
2 Ribs celery, chopped
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 ts Thyme
1 Bay leaf
1 Broiler-fryer chicken, cooked
1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour burns, roux is ruined).
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
4. Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.