Tourtie’re (Pork and Beef Pie)
For those with a French Heritage
1/2 cup water
1 pound boneless pork, cubed
1 pound boneless beef, cubed
3 onions, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 medium potatoes
2 slices fresh bread
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 to 2 cups meat juice
double pie crust
butter (or cream of mushroom soup) (optional)
1. In water, cook meat, 1 onion, salt, and pepper for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is done.
2. When meat is about 45 minutes from being done, peel and slice potatoes and boll them. Drain and mash potatoes or run them through a grinder with meat and remaining onions.
3. Run bread through grinder last to clean it. Add to meat and potato mixture with parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
4. Pour in juice in which meat was cooked to make a thick filling, adding more water if necessary. Place mixture in double pie crust,
5. Bake in a preheated 350’F oven until crust is golden, about 45 minutes. To serve hot with butter or mushroom soup as a sauce, open wedges horizontally and top with small pieces of cold butter or mushroom soup.
Recipe source: From the Smithsonian Folklife Cookbook, 1991, Kathrine S Kirlin & Thomas M Kirlin