Smoked Gouda and Prosciutto Panini
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices sourdough bread, each about 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked Gouda cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onions
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 ounce shredded fontina cheese
Preheat a panini maker, double-sided electric grill, or a grill pan or heavy skillet.
Meanwhile, brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil or butter. On one of the slices, evenly assemble the sandwich layers: smoked Gouda, prosciutto, onions, tomato, fontina, and the second bread slice.
Place the sandwich in the panini maker, double-sided grill, or on the grill pan or skillet; close the machine or place another heavy pan on top of the sandwich in the pan or skillet. Cook until the sandwich is crisp and golden on both sides; if it is being cooked on the stovetop, carefully lift off the top pan and use a spatula to flip over the sandwich to crisp the other side. Serve immediately.
Source: Wolfgang Puck