Texas Baked Beans
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 6 ounces slab bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- 1/2 pound honey-baked ham, in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 smoked pork chop, in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4cup honey
- 1/4cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt to taste
Wash beans and soak overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Drain, rinse and drain again.
Place in large, heavy pot; add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender but not mushy, about 45 minutes. While cooking, skim off any foam that rises to the top. Drain beans and set aside.
Cook bacon over low heat until fat is just rendered (do not brown), 5 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Saute onion in bacon fat until wilted. Add bell peppers and stir-fry for five minutes.
Place all ingredients except salt in crock pot and cook for 6 hrs. Add salt to taste.
Makes six to eight servings.